Kimball began as a railroad construction camp. Because of large herds of pronghorn in the area, the railroad called the new station Antelope, and the new village, Antelopeville. In 1885, the growing settlement was renamed for railroad executive Thomas Kimball.
Kimball’s history is displayed downtown at the Plains Historical Museum.
After oil was discovered in Kimball County in 1950, Kimball became known as the “Oil Capital of Nebraska.” It soon had another title: “Missile Center, U.S.A.” The area’s first Atlas missile site was completed in 1961. Kimball bills itself as the “High Point of Nebraska.” The elevation of Panorama Point is 5,424 feet. It is easily walked to. Kimball Area Tourism offers tongue-in-cheek certificates to those who reach the summit. Call (308) 241-0573. Nearby, the Tri-State Marker shows the spot where Nebraska, Wyoming and Colorado meet.
Oliver Reservoir Recreation Area has a 270-acre lake for fishing and boating, and sandy beaches. (308) 254-2377.
Four Winds Golf Course is two miles east of town. The 18-hole green fee is good for as many holes you can play in a day. (308) 235-4241.
For more information on Kimball, contact Kimball Area Tourism. Their High Point Welcome Center of Western Nebraska has all the brochures and personal Kimball-area travel advice needed for a fulfilling visit. 204 Kimball Ave. (308) 241-0573.